Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Go To Sleep


Sometimes a baby just can't get to sleep fast enough. Or they just can't sleep long enough. Or Daddy needs to take his "medicine" (scotch) and can't do so in front of baby without feeling intense shame.

It's times like these I'm thankful that I'm such a brilliant poet and song-writer. Below are a few of my favourite lullabyes I've written Eve to help soothe her to sleep.

GO TO SLEEP (sung to Swing Low Sweet Chariot)
Go to sleep (x4)
Little Eve
Go to Sleep (x4)
(repeat until you hate hearing those words or the baby is asleep - whichever comes first)


DADDY LOVES YOU (sung to Swing Low Sweet Chariot)
Daddy loves you, but please sleep
Mommy's fed you and Daddy needs scotch.
You are cute, but not when you're angry.
In fact when you're angry, you look mean.
(repeat until baby is less mean looking)

STOP GROWING SO FAST (sung to Swing Low Sweet Chariot)
You're a heavy little baby,
And Daddy's arm is getting tired.
If I have to rock you for another hour,
Lactic acid will flood my biceps and I'll need a protein shake.
(repeat until arm gives out or baby falls asleep)

I DIDN'T THINK TALKING TO YOU AND MAKING YOU LAUGH WAS GOING TO CAUSE US TO DELAY BEDTIME FOR AN HOUR
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
(repeat until you've shushed yourself to sleep and baby is still cooing and gurgling and being cute as all get up)

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture! No one can do perfect cartoon mouth frowns like babies can!

    ReplyDelete